Wednesday 2 June 2010

2 years down, 1 more to go.......I hope

We've been in korea for almost 2 years now! Crazy....looking back now it doesn't feel like it's been that long, but from day to day it seems to draaaagg...
Anyways, this last month has been hard. Tim was sent to WLC which is a warrior leadership course for soldiers in an NCO possition. Anyone who wants to be promoted to E5 has to go, now he just has to go to his promotion board and he'll be promoted. In fact, he got a call from an NCO in his platoon today trying to get him to go to the board in 2 days....yeah..right.. that's not enough time to prepare. He'll most likely be going in August though. Which is a good thing...he wants to go, just not when he's told only 2 days in advance and given no time to study. Anyways, he was gone at WLC for 17 days, it was like basic training all over again. He wasn't allowed to use his phone all day so usually called me after 7 sometime to say goodnight.

That weekend after he came back he was given the weekend off to recover so we took advantage of that and went to a festival and Luau that was going on at Camp Casey. Which i was really excited to go to, until we got there... We went at about noon and were surprised to see that the only thing happening then was their "yard sale" which was just two little areas set up with peoples "junk" scattered on folding tables, and a tent in the middle selling beer and liquor. When we checked the schedule for the events nothing else started until 3:30, so we weren't about to just stand around for 3 hours doing nothing while we waited for the concert of some guy we'd never heard of, and a "luau" hosted by koreans.....no thanks. The Luau might've been alright, but nothing compared to a real one in Hawaii, which we are going to Honolulu in 3 weeks..so I would rather experience one there. So that was pretty disappointing... it would have been nice if they had advertised the schedule better so that we would have known to go later in the afternoon.
Tim on the company's softball team, though he left for WLC right when they started having games so he's only been able to go to 2-3 of them. I've make it to 2 of the games this week to watch him play. They were saying tonight was probably their last game though..I don't know why.I hope not though, I enjoy watching my man play. =)

Next week Tim's Mom and Sis get here, on thursday morning. We're planning on taking the early bus to meet them, we'll arrive like two hours after their plane lands. It's okay though because they'll be waiting on a bus that leaves at 10 so we'll still be there before that, so either way they would have been waiting.

We're really excited for them to get here =)) we'll have so much to do! I just hope Tim gets enough days off to spend with them. It just sucks because he is on night shift so when we do anything or go anywhere he'll have to pull an all nighter and just not get any sleep. And there is always the risk of being called in. EVERY TIME we try and leave Uijeongbu, especially when we try to go to Seoul he gets called in. I'm not exagerating in the least bit. Last time we went to Seoul, we were half way there on the train(which is an hour long ride incase you're wondering) and he got a call to come in to work. It never fails. So we'll be worrying about that anytime we go anywhere. It's not like he can put in a pass either, since he's "in system" it's the same as being "in the field" and they're not allowed to put in passes when they're in the field.

All day I've been looking at other people's blogs that are living or lived in the Seoul area to get ideas of places to go and things to see. I got to looking because I was trying to find how to get to Dobongsan Mountain and came across someone's blog that lives in Seoul. Then from there I just kept finding more and more blogs of people around here talking about the food and places they like to go. It's awesome! Made me realize I really should take pictures of seriously "everything" I see and do here, because I didn't realize til now how interesting it is... I forgot just how excited I was coming here and learning about their culture, now I'm so used to it, since it's now my LIFE...I forgot how interesting other people would find it. So from now on I am going to try my best to remember my camera and take pictures of my favorite places and things that we do from day to day. Maybe I will add some pictures to this post that I took when I first got here... I think I will. Actually I will make New posts specifically for those pictures since there are so many, but I will add a picture I found on someone's blog of the view from the top of Mt. Dobongsan.

No comments: